apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: sendfile in darwin
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 00:45:17 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On May 13, 2008, at 4:28 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> I wonder if you are seeing timing issues rather than "real" errors...
>>
>> are client messages.  However, this could be either 1. timing errors,
>> or 2. unusual EINTR or other signal noise.
>
> I also wonder if it's cpu based... I'm Intel and you appear
> to be PPC.

I more suspect CPU timings; this is a very old 1Ghz box.  Yours is much more
speedy and less prone to actually timing out, I imagine.

> Also, if you do these tests back to back, you may also sometimes
> see something like:
>
> apr_socket_bind()->48/Address already in use
> problem with data read (byte 12495 of trl 3):
> read `0' (0x30) from client; expected `@'
> apr_socket_recv()->54/Connection reset by peer (expected APR_EOF)

Not seen that, except starting two instances of server ;-)

> meaning that the previous server didn't go away fast enough
> for the "next" server to startup (if you do a lot of these
> tests back to back)... These hand tests seem quite sensitive
> to timing.

That's for sure.

Speaking of timing, you can find the truss results of my test in

people.apache.org:~wrowe/sf_dtruss.zip

where the problem is far from obvious :-/

Bill