apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DBD driver license issues (must default to --without-driver)
Date Sun, 11 May 2008 19:35:46 GMT

On 05/11/2008 08:39 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Actually, I don't understand how this is supposed to work at all.
> Having these interfaces in a library means that anything we
> pick as a DBD interface must be redistributed with the binaries.
> An operating system distro may be able to pick and choose a suite
> of databases to always have installed, but I don't see how we are
> going to do that just distributing httpd.
>
> I suggest that the way forward is to separate DBD from apr-util and
> make it capable of finding and remapping the DB shared libraries at
> initialization time, rather than compile time.

This already works if you compile apr-util (trunk / 1.3) with
--enable-dbd-dso

In this case the DBD drivers and its DB dependencies will be created as
separated so files (installed under lib/apr-util-1). The DBD drivers
(and thus its dependencies) will be loaded at runtime as requested by
the user of the APR-UTIL DBD interface.

Regards

RĂ¼diger