apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Disconnecting -lldap from utilizing apr-util
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 19:31:17 GMT
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:50:35AM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
>>> Then do we all decide that there is a global pool and an API to obtain it?
>>> I know how to do this, but I'm just asking if that's how to go.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you're asking here.  Starting in 1.3.x there can be
>> multiple global pools each under control of separate consumers.
>
> There's only one global pool in the context of apr_[app_]initialize.
> That global initialization is refcounted.

Ah right, you mean adding an API to expose that.  Yeah, makes sense I
suppose, but this is kind of piling on more and more layers of
workarounds.  An alternative maybe is to just create another unparented
global pool here using the new 1.3 pool_core_create_ex API.

More review:

1) the DSO-loading stuff is not thread-safe (dsos global not
mutex-protected) yet apr_ldap_init would/could/should be; it's not
documented to explicitly *not* be thread-safe, anyway.

2) on the DSO-failed-to-load error paths it looks like *result_err
should be set but won't be.

joe