apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Disconnecting -lldap from utilizing apr-util
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 15:23:35 GMT
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 09:23:43AM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> There *IS* a build system schema change.  I don't see where we wrote out
> the versioning rules for building APR.  But I beg to differ with you, this
> change does not violate versioning guidelines.

I guess it's reasonable to argue that this isn't a source compat break
because it's not the default build configuration; the config option used
to enable it needs to make that pretty clear in that case.  It still
sounds like a bit of headache.  Do you think it's really so important to
do get this changed now in 1.x?

>> - the pool lifetime stuff is probably dodgy because in 1.3.x you can now
>> create unparented pools, i.e., there's no longer any guarantee that
>> following pool->parent gets you to the APR global pool which lasts for the
>> lifetime is the process.  (who knows what else that new misfeature may
>> break)
>
> Then do we all decide that there is a global pool and an API to obtain it?
> I know how to do this, but I'm just asking if that's how to go.

I'm not sure what you're asking here.  Starting in 1.3.x there can be
multiple global pools each under control of separate consumers.

> The reason for this of course is that people do want to consume APR in their
> libraries, which means consumers X and Y might not even be an "application",
> and may not start up and shut down at the same time.

Right, exactly.  And in 1.3.x X and Y might be passing their own
independent global pool to apr_ldap_init() or whatever - snafu ensues.

joe