apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apr_reslist semantics
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 08:07:03 GMT
On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 04:10:14PM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> Like Roy, I'm frustrated with aprutil's dependency madness, and I'm working
> right now on abstracting out apu-util into a loadable module.  At this point
> a --with-ldap build on linux FC8 is producing this pile of crap as bindings
> for those applications with no use for ldap;

That is a 2.0 discussion not a 1.3 discussion. (and see msgid
20071123103706.GA4169@redhat.com)

For 1.x, libaprutil must continue to contain functions which use symbols
defined by the LDAP library; changing each function call into an
indirected dynamic-symbol-lookup-and-function-call would be an
unmaintainable hack.  Since downstream users must also continue to be
linked against those LDAP libraries by virtue of linking against
libaprutil, it would also be a redundant hack.

(same broadly goes for the XML & DBM interfaces)

joe