apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: freezing 1.3 tonight
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 23:44:07 GMT
On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 04:18:32PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On May 1, 2008, at 3:33 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> >Christopher Key wrote:
> >>>
> >>I'm not sure whether this has been covered already, and whether it
> >>needs to go in during a major release, but is there any chance of
> >>adding apr_int8_t and apr_uint8_t typedefs?
>
> Why?  The type char is defined by the C standard to be an 8bit signed
> integer.

Huh? 'char' may or may not be signed, the spec doesn't specify which,
except for the condition that if a "real" character is stored
in 'char' then that value is unsigned. But if I store, for example,
0xfb in there, (and 0xfb isn't a "real" character), then whether
the value of that char is positive or negative (and thus, whether
signed) is impl dependent.

The 'signed' qualifier is redundant for all types except 'char'

        "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war"  ~ John Adams