apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: DBD driver license issues (must default to --without-driver)
Date Sat, 10 May 2008 22:55:28 GMT
On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 13:58 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> This is a showstopper.  It must be fixed in 1.3.x before release.
> My fix is also incomplete: All of the other DBD drivers that do not have
> redistributable client libraries must also default off.  Oracle is one
> for sure -- I am unaware of the terms for the other drivers.

Quick summary:

- MySQL: GPL licence, allows open source (including APR) to link to it;
people shipping APR inside a proprietary piece of code may be in trouble
for linking to GPL licensed MySQL, better turn it off by default

- FreeTDS: LGPL licence, OK to link to by anyone

- Oracle: proprietary licence, better stay clear to avoid getting
downstream people in trouble by default

- SQLite: public domain, OK to link by anyone

- PostgreSQL: BSD licence, OK to link by anyone

View raw message