apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: veto on addition of ssl, evp code
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:08:24 GMT
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
>  To quote what Roy put into his sandbox at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/sandbox/wakad/README.txt:
>
>  "Don't knock over my castle."

That's a sandbox - not something that is intended to be in a release.
Please don't take things out of context.  APR has strict compatibility
rules, so if this code were to make it into 1.3, then we can't alter
the API until 2.0.

>  Every time you veto something instead of engaging someone in a discussion
> to resolve the issues, you are knocking over that person's sandcastle. And
> every time you do that, you are giving that person one less reason to bother
> code up anything at all.

No, as Joe said, you ignored prior comments - this isn't the first
time that these concerns have been raised.

>  You have raised some valid points which need to be addressed in the current
> code. Unfortunately you delivered those points with the blunt instrument of
> the -1, and as a result the SSL part of the code has effectively been
> withdrawn, and any chance of those issues ever being addressed has been
> vastly reduced if not eliminated entirely.

If and when you wish to address *all* of the issues, I (and I think
Joe too; but I can't speak for him) will be happy to see it back on
trunk.  But, releasing a half-completed API in 1.3 is extreme badness.
 -- justin