apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: Request for inclusion in 1.2.13/.14 or 1.3.0: Win32 file copy efficiency
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:52:22 GMT
Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 13:08 +1000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
>

>> Maybe we should have a private #define that takes max of
>> APR_FILE_DEFAULT_BUFSIZE and BUFSIZ and then uses that instead of just
>> BUFSIZ?
>>

> For instance...

I'm not very impressed by the idea of using a 4-k buffer size for file
copies. That's bad for a local disk, and seriously undersized for a
remote mount. Measurements I'd made in the past on various systems (IIRC
Mac OS and Windows) showed that the optimum was closer to a megabyte.

And I think its wrong to assume that it's ok if the default buffer size
for file copying is the same as the default for buffered char- or
line-oriented file I/O. The copy buffer size should be a different
private value.

-- Brane