apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: veto on addition of ssl, evp code
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:18:40 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:

>>> l) again, no demonstration that non-OpenSSL-based implementations are even
>>> possible, if an abstraction is the intent.
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa380252(VS.85).aspx#csp_data_encryption_functions
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/comparison.html
>
> URLs != demonstration.

Of course URLs are a demonstration.

You maintain that non OpenSSL based implementations are not possible,
and you have offered no evidence whatsoever to support this.

I on the other hand put in a significant amount of research into this
before embarking on this effort to make sure that other platforms, most
notably Windows, have the functionality I am looking for, so that the
session stuff, which I was working on at the time, had the widest
possible audience that would work out the box.

I am not a Windows developer, I was hoping that somebody would pick up
on what I was doing and fill in the Windows bits for me. If not, I
planned to borrow a Windows machine and do it myself. I certainly
planned to address this at the end of next week, when I can make some
more time. That has been short circuited of course.

> I'll revert the code, anyway.

To quote what Roy put into his sandbox at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/sandbox/wakad/README.txt:

"Don't knock over my castle."

Every time you veto something instead of engaging someone in a
discussion to resolve the issues, you are knocking over that person's
sandcastle. And every time you do that, you are giving that person one
less reason to bother code up anything at all.

You have raised some valid points which need to be addressed in the
current code. Unfortunately you delivered those points with the blunt
instrument of the -1, and as a result the SSL part of the code has
effectively been withdrawn, and any chance of those issues ever being
addressed has been vastly reduced if not eliminated entirely.

Regards,
Graham