apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: veto on addition of ssl, evp code
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:57:41 GMT
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 02:55:54PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> No, as Joe said, you ignored prior comments - this isn't the first
>> time that these concerns have been raised.
>
> I did not ignore prior comments, I responded to the comments, and my

Without wanting to get into a he-said-she-said argument, I've looked
through the mail thread again to see if this is a fair claim.

A theme of the responses is effectively to stonewall: "this is a wider
problem in the SSL code."  Well, sure, fine, I agree completely.  What
do you expect me to say?  I am not going to try to convince you to spend
time fixing the problems if you don't feel so inclined; your time, your
choice.  But if nobody spends time fixing the code, the problems will
still be there.  That is the basis of my veto.

For at least two of the five issues in my veto which concern the EVP
code, those labelled (h) and (i), in fact no further discussion seemed
necessary because you indicated intent to fix the issues in question:

 "Again, this is the underlying toolkit's problem. Will document
better."
 "Again, this was modelled on the existing code, and I wasn't happy
with it either. Will change both the apr_ssl_* and the apr_evp_*
factories to be more specific."

So again, I guess I presumed back then, and would still now, that these
problems were understood and were going to be addressed.  But that
didn't actually happen; the problems are still there.  Again, that is
the basis of my veto.

I am sorry if I failed to do enough to help explain or discuss the
problems last year, and as a result of that the veto seems unduly harsh.

Regards,

joe