On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Guenter Knauf <fuankg@apache.org> wrote:
Hi all,
> Thank you for your work with this, and for sending it to me.

> Unfortunately, it does not solve the problem I am having.  But, at least
> now
> the error message is consistent across all 3 version of Windows that I
> have
> been working with!

> I am copying the APR DEV mailing list so they can take a look at this.
well, either my mailserver did cut the attached bits, or it lost somewhere else....
Harry, or Victor, can one of you perhaps send it to me? thanks in advance.

Probably my fault.  Source attached to this message.

Regarding LDAPS at all: I also tested a lot with the M$ implementation with another project,
and didnt get it properly working - finally I used either an OpenLDAP Win32 port,
or the Novell CLPAP SDK which both worked then fine for me.

I've used the Novell CLDAP libraries and they work very well for me with other projects, even when accessing an MS AD or OpenLDAP.  I would love to see it as a switchable option.  Even with this patch, I have not been able to resolve the issues I've been having (although it does now produce a consistent error across all 3 Windows OSs (2000, XP, and 2003 Server)).

I think we should probably look into this direction since supporting LDAPS with M$ implementation is really a pain;
the Novell CLDAP SDK is freely available - you only have to register:
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/LDAP_Libraries_for_C
at least we should make it switchable for the Win32 build, and that shouldnt be much trouble since we have full support for this SDK already in due to the NetWare port using it.

Although OpenLDAP would be an option too - I'm not aware of any MSVC port;
with the other project I mentioned I used an older MingW32 port....

Guenter.

--
Harry Holt, PMP