apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: LDAP over SSL on Win32
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:50:22 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:

> The APR LDAP code goes to significant lengths to support a single
> unified API across something like *seven* different LDAP implementations
> across a wide set of platforms.

yes...

> Despite the C API being a standard, support for extensions like SSL and
> LDAP options have resulted in 7 completely different implementations
> that work completely differently from the next. Coming up with a
> sensible common API was no mean feat.

I can strongly disagree by looking at how many feature-tests and strange
macro comparisons are used in util_ldap or mod_authnz_ldap of httpd.
Clearly we've failed - it isn't anywhere near ready for run-time alteration
of a provider, eh?

> The point behind APR is to solve these problems. Patches welcome.

++1; the point isn't to ponder dropping one for it's bugs, but to set out
to add functionality to apr-util-1.3 to break our compile-time dependencies
on the consumer of apr-util, and in apr-util-2.0 to deprecate bogusness.