apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [FG-Spam***** ] Re: LDAP over SSL on Win32
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:05:53 GMT
Guenter Knauf wrote:

> +0.5 from my side since the benefit of having it in apr-util isnt clear to me,

The purpose of the LDAP support in apr-util is to solve the problem that
practically, none of the many LDAP libraries out there in the wild are
API compatible with the others, despite an LDAP C standard being
published. Those parts of the API that are most incompatible - the
SSL/TLS and LDAP options, have a common API exposed by apr-util. Then,
once you have an API, every library on every platform has their own
weird and wonderful combinations of libraries to link to before the LDAP
library is usable.

In the past, the Windows support for LDAP was not as developed, simply
because the majority of people working on this were from Unixland.
Patches to make this work cleanly on Windows are encouraged.

Please don't make the mistake of assuming that just because Windows is
not well supported yet that the LDAP support in APR has no purpose.
There are many other platforms out there for whom the abstracted API in
apr-util works very well.

If you want an idea of the complexity of the problem, look at the forest
of #ifdefs in the apr-util code and ask yourself "do I want to duplicate
this mess inside every bit of code that uses LDAP?". I think not.

Regards,
Graham