apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: LDAP over SSL on Win32
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:36:20 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Isn't the point, though, for APR to *SOLVE* such problems?  If we aren't,
> I'm strongly +1 for removing ldap from apr-util; we simply bring next to
> no value to the end user because they are wired too closely to the stack,
> and we haven't abstacted it enough to justify even keeping it.

Er, Windows isn't the only platform supported by apr-util.

The APR LDAP code goes to significant lengths to support a single
unified API across something like *seven* different LDAP implementations
across a wide set of platforms.

Despite the C API being a standard, support for extensions like SSL and
LDAP options have resulted in 7 completely different implementations
that work completely differently from the next. Coming up with a
sensible common API was no mean feat.

The point behind APR is to solve these problems. Patches welcome.

Regards,
Graham