apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: LDAP over SSL on Win32
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:50:15 GMT
Guenter Knauf wrote:

> Regarding LDAPS at all: I also tested a lot with the M$ implementation with another project,
> and didnt get it properly working - finally I used either an OpenLDAP Win32 port,
> or the Novell CLPAP SDK which both worked then fine for me.

Well, my Covalent-offering bundles OpenLDAP, simply so it's the same code
base across 7 platforms.  But that doesn't make sense to the APR project,
particularly...

> I think we should probably look into this direction since supporting LDAPS with M$ implementation
is really a pain;
> the Novell CLDAP SDK is freely available

Isn't the point, though, for APR to *SOLVE* such problems?  If we aren't,
I'm strongly +1 for removing ldap from apr-util; we simply bring next to
no value to the end user because they are wired too closely to the stack,
and we haven't abstacted it enough to justify even keeping it.

> at least we should make it switchable for the Win32 build, and that shouldnt be much
trouble since we have full support for this SDK already in due to the NetWare port using it.

No-go unless we want pluggable LDAP providers just as we have

> Although OpenLDAP would be an option too - I'm not aware of any MSVC port;

Hmmm... builds fine here :)  As I say - this is what my customers use.