apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <rbl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: custom memory allocators ?
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:12:32 GMT
We did at one time (years ago) look at adding the flexibility that you
are talking about here.  It has a serious impact on performance of the
Apache web server, which was the reason the code was removed from the
system.  Also, the reality is that you can't really swap memory
allocation schemes easily in the middle of development, because the
code is usually written to assume a specific memory allocation scheme.
 Consider going from pool-based memory to malloc/free.  None of the
pool-based code has calls to free, so the switch just doesn't work.
Large portions of APR allocate memory based on the pool model, so
changing allocation schemes would require quite a bit of rework to the
APR internals.

Having said all of that, having APR depend so closely on pools, is one
of my biggest regrets with APR in general.  I really wish that I had
listened to Manoj when I was originally prototyping the APIs, and had
provided an API to allocate the memory, and then passed the
pre-allocated structure into the method instead of passing around
pools.  But, I also remember the reasons for not implementing APR that
way, and they were valid, so I can't complain too much.

Ryan

--
Ryan Bloom
rbb@apache.org