apr-dev mailing list archives

From Vincent Finley <vwfin...@comcast.net>
Subject patch Issue#44432- proposal for application function hooks
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:02:16 GMT
I posted a patch in Issue #44432.  This patch is a proposed feature
enhancement.

My team's application needs a way to handle memory allocation failures that
occur inside apr_pool.  For example in a system with tightly managed memory
limits, malloc can fail.  We need to detect the failure, have a chance to
adjust memory limits and retry the malloc before APR continues.

This patch provides a way for an application using APR to install simple
function hooks within APR.  It is a simpler hooks facility than the one found
in apr_util mainly because it stores hooks statically.

When a memory failure occurs in apr_pool, the hooks code will call the
function installed by the application.  This the application will have a
chance to remedy the situation and retry the allocation.

This hooks facility can easily be used in other places where an application
might need to handle a system failure.

-Vincent Finley