apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joachim Ziegler <zieg...@mpi-sb.mpg.de>
Subject Newbie question: Compiling helloworld-APR.c under Windows
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:36:59 GMT
Hello,

we are evaluating APR as a possible base for a multi-platform server
project.

I have successfully compiled and executed the following APR-"Hello
world!" program under Unix:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <apr_general.h>

int main(int argc, const char *argv[])
{
     apr_status_t rv;
     rv = apr_initialize();
     printf( "Hello APR world!\n");
     apr_terminate();
     return 0;
}

Now I try to compile this with Visual Studio 8 (2005). I have
successfully built the APR libs and the test suite with Studio.

But when compiling the above program, I get the following error message:

------ Build started: Project: TestAPR, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
try-helloworld-APR.c
d:\apr\apr\include\apr_errno.h(52) : error C2061: syntax error :
identifier 'apr_strerror'
d:\apr\apr\include\apr_errno.h(52) : error C2059: syntax error : ';'
d:\apr\apr\include\apr_errno.h(52) : error C2059: syntax error : 'type'

The respective line in apr_errno.c reads

APR_DECLARE(char *) apr_strerror(apr_status_t statcode, char *buf,
                                  apr_size_t bufsize);

It seems that the macro APR_DECLARE is not defined.

I have spent one day to read all available documentation on APR and have
searched the mailing list archive for messages concerning how to compile
with APR under windows, but I just could not find out what settings I
have to specify to use the APR libs with Visual Studio.

The page http://apr.apache.org/compiling_win32.html just says

>  Integrating the Library
>
>     We should tell ya'll 'bout this, no?

:-)

Can you please help me? Any hints are highly appreciated.

Thank you and kind regards,
Joachim