apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: problem compiling APR 0.9.x misc/win32/rand.c
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:50:33 GMT
Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Hi,
>> That's probably not a good idea for several reasons, the first of
>> which  is that we have been around this file a half dozen times.  APR
>> deliberately excludes a vast amount of junk from being compiled, very
>> likely including some crypt stuff.  By compiling windows.h first, we
>> end up with a very slow compile for one module, but overall we win
>> by orders of magnitude on the rest.
>
> omitting the windows include was only a suggestion since apr.h includeds it
> already, otherwise I dont care about. The important thing was moving the
> wincrypt header include after apr.h to get the _WIN32_WINNT define from it.

You are missing my point, flip them, use more modern headers and it's
broken again.  We gain all of apr's preferences to rid ourselves of all
the excessive win32 header-fu (including some that is related to crypt),
or we gain the define.  Flipping these is definitely not that answer,
please don't.

> yes, it was on a box where I had only a 'VC6 out-of-the-box'... (not mine);
> but this break was really the only one - after changing the include order
> compilation succeeded; got httpd 2.0.63 compiled, and its running fine so
> far - though not much tested except running some PHP5 apps from it...

For apr, a remote possibility.  For apr 1.x (all we really care about)
and apr-util, it's certainly not true.  The ldap headers alone provided
with that VC6 are garbage to us, there we flaws in more recent wsock
libs, etc.  It's well documented "don't do that".

So don't ;-)