apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Symbian support in APR
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:04:08 GMT
johan.wikman@nokia.com wrote:
>> wrowe@rowe-clan.net wrote:
>> I'd enthusiastically support a richer macro to express a
>> data-by-call dereference, but that's not possible until APR
>> 1.3 at earliest due to the versioning rules.  Since 1.3 is in
>> development, that's the best version to target for such a change.
>
> Ah, but this change would not need to cause binary or even
> source incomptibilities for other OS versions.

Which doesn't matter...

> Now, in the case of all other operating systems, we could
> simply have
>
>    #define APU_DECLARE_EXPORTED_DATA(type, name)\
>    APU_DECLARE_DATA extern type name

I expected something similar although APU_EXPORT_DATA() might make
more sense for the first macro (consider line lengths!)

> If that also would cause a change in the minor number, then
> I would be perfectly happy with

Here's the issue;

   http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

We need to introduce these new macros with the next minor (1.3) bump,
although we do -not- have to wait for 2.0 since (as you pointed out)
there will be no ABI breakage on existing platforms.

Bill