apr-dev mailing list archives

From Davi Arnaut <d...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] Proposed Extended Attributes Implementation
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:21:29 GMT
Michael Clark wrote:
> Davi Arnaut wrote:
>> Hi Michael,

>>> I've come up with an initial set of patches and a sample client application.
>>>

>> [..]
>>

>>> It may be a week or so before I get time to get a mod_dav_fs_props
>>> implementation that use these interfaces (which i'll post to httpd-dev).
>>> Perhaps also a nice patch for mod_autoindex xattr descriptions.
>>>
>>> Any committers out there who would like to sponsor this?
>>>
>> From a quick review, it looks good, but I would prefer a apr_file_t
>> based implementation. Other than this, please open a entry on bugzilla
>> so we can track more easily the patches/progress.
>>

> Thanks. I'll open a bugzilla entry for it.
>
> Okay, so you recommend a change from const char *filepath to apr_file_t
> *thefile and fetch the apr_os_file_t (file descriptors) and use the f*
> variants.

The file descriptor is accessible through apr_file_t::filedes.

> I had used filepath as it seemed consistent with the existing
> interfaces. i.e. apr_stat, apr_file_perms_set, etc do not have fstat,
> fchown equivalents.

Hum, we have apr_file_info_get for fstat equivalent. For file
permissions, the path make much more sense..

> I am okay with using file descriptors. Would it be good to have both?
> e.g. apr_file_xattr_get, apr_file_xattr_get_path

You can access the file name in apr_file_t::fname. Only the apr_file_t
one will suffice.

> Would an apr_file_t based implementation be portable i.e. do you have a
> call like Solaris' openat on windows that will open the named stream
> relative to a file handle?

See above, in cases where there is no file descriptor based api, use the
filename in the apr_file_t structure.

Regards,

Davi Arnaut