apr-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Clark <mich...@metaparadigm.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] Proposed Extended Attributes Implementation
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:36:51 GMT
Davi Arnaut wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Clark wrote:

>>> I have been doing some work on implementing extended attributes
>>> support for apr.

>>> I'll send some initial patches soon. They still need a little work
>>> and some more test cases.
>>>
>> I've come up with an initial set of patches and a sample client application.
>>

> [..]
>

>> It may be a week or so before I get time to get a mod_dav_fs_props
>> implementation that use these interfaces (which i'll post to httpd-dev).
>> Perhaps also a nice patch for mod_autoindex xattr descriptions.
>>
>> Any committers out there who would like to sponsor this?
>>

> From a quick review, it looks good, but I would prefer a apr_file_t
> based implementation. Other than this, please open a entry on bugzilla
> so we can track more easily the patches/progress.

Thanks. I'll open a bugzilla entry for it.

Okay, so you recommend a change from const char *filepath to apr_file_t
*thefile and fetch the apr_os_file_t (file descriptors) and use the f*
variants.

I had used filepath as it seemed consistent with the existing
interfaces. i.e. apr_stat, apr_file_perms_set, etc do not have fstat,
fchown equivalents.

I am okay with using file descriptors. Would it be good to have both?
e.g. apr_file_xattr_get, apr_file_xattr_get_path

Would an apr_file_t based implementation be portable i.e. do you have a
call like Solaris' openat on windows that will open the named stream
relative to a file handle?

Cheers,
Michael