apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r602176 - /apr/apr/trunk/network_io/unix/sockaddr.c
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:20:16 GMT
On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 02:35:36PM -0600, William Rowe wrote:
> If you want this resolved, we agree this needs to be reverted in apr 2.0?
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/apr/apr/trunk/network_io/unix/sa_common.c?view=log&pathrev=63986#rev60946
> talk about ancient history, but most of the time we butt heads there's
> a root in a bad design decision.  If this decision was right, then
> apr should have some reciprocal behavior to get from point A to B and
> back again.  Apparently internal consistency doesn't interest you?
> I consider it essential, even if the user has to throw a flag to get
> out of the mess we created.

I'd guess the original API was designed simply to produce some
"human-readable" representation of the address, i.e. for logging
purposes; it's not an unreasonable interface to provide per se.  Perhaps
changing it in 2.0 to add a flags argument to make the ::ffff:-stripping
optional would make sense.

(and also maybe exposing inet_pton and inet_ntop interfaces using

View raw message