apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r602176 - /apr/apr/trunk/network_io/unix/sockaddr.c
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:07:18 GMT
On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 06:47:29PM -0000, William Rowe wrote:
> Author: wrowe
> Date: Fri Dec  7 10:47:29 2007
> New Revision: 602176

> Log:
> Where hostname is provided in ipv4 numeric form, as we've
> foolishly cooerced all of our IPV4_MAPPED_IPV6 addresses,
> we'll need to accept this as a socket lookup call!

I am getting pretty sick of trying to decode the meaning behind oblique
remarks in commit messages.  Is that supposed to help explain the
motivation for this change?  Who is "we"?  What addresses have been
coerced by whom?  What is a "socket lookup call"?

> Unfortunately, we failed to resolve, for example, 127.0.0.1
> for INET6 addressing, where we would resolve ::ffff:127.0.0.1

If apr_sockaddr_info_get is called with family==AF_INET6 and the given
hostname does not map to any IPv6 addresses, I would expect failure.
Why is the caller not using family==AF_UNSPEC if they don't know the
family which the addresses of the given hostname might map to?

joe