apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Votes] Apr candidates in /dev/dist/
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:33:58 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 11/20/2007 11:30 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>> Please provide your input to release.
>>>
>>>   [+1] APR-iconv-1.2.1
>>
>> Please note I didn't see much feedback yet one way or another on
>> APR-iconv-1.2.1 nor
>
> What can be done with APR-iconv, except
>
> - checking md5 / signature
> - compiling
> - installing

yes, to all of the above.  Also, the delta between 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 releases
is useful for inspection.  Finally --with-iconv=/path/to/installed-apr-iconv
to apr-util should bind to this rather than to system iconv.  Of course any
release vote is subject to your own metrics, with the general concensus that
non-regressions aren't showstoppers.

> I see no test suite. Would the above results be enough for a qualified
> vote. If yes, I can try to provide this (at least for some OS).

Once bound to apr-util, there is a simple apr-xlate validation test already,
in fact I'd rather we invested energy in validating apr_xlate than very
specific apr-iconv testing.  (It's a win for apr-iconv, which might go away
sometime if citrus libs or icu become good solutions, and it remains a win
for checking against system iconv).

That test reveals one issue, not a regression, with a missing shift-out
of utf-7 encoding after a series of shifted bytes from the utf-8 source.

> BTW: zip files would have been helpful for tests on windows as I missed
> to install any of the usual suspect zip tools on the XP box I have
> at hand :-(.

See /dev/dist now, however I didn't install testall, etc.  I can see a good
rational for some install-tests target though, just to validate a binary
against a wider range of boxes.

Lucian's vote (not binding) and mine leave me looking for 2 more +1's to
wrap up this whole shooting match.  Hard for me to shift apr-all-* binaries
without approval of apr-iconv-1.2.1 along with apr, apr-util 1.2.12.

Bill