apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: How can I debug libapr-1.dll, libaprutil-1.dll?
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2007 07:50:07 GMT
Learning apr wrote:
> Thank you for your replying. I still have some questions I inserted them into your email.
>
>> Now you need the symbols (.pdb files) that were created by whomever rolled up
>> your application.  Those allow you to unwind a crash dump, set breakpoints, etc.
>> For example, libapr-1.pdb should be placed in the same dir as libapr-1.dll.
>
> Sorry,  I still do not understand how to create a *.pdb file? Could you please explain
it in detail?

Exactly, the person who BUILT the .exe and .dll files got .pdb files along with
it, maybe they shared them with you in the package; maybe they set them aside
and have them available for download (httpd does for it's distributions) and
maybe you can request them.  Otherwise, you are SOL.

>> Once you load up your application, and attempt to do *anything* with the apr
>> dll's, it's going to ask you for the path - point it to the source files you
>> had unpacked in the first step.
>>
>> Better idea though is just to build libapr/libaprutil yourself.  Sources of the
>> latest release are at http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/
>>
> Can I build  libapr/libaprutil with Visual studio 2005? After building, can I get DLL
and LIB?

Yes, it's pretty trivial.  Newest versions released tomorrow are better, but even
the older versions, if you unpack the directory names "apr", "apr-iconv" and "apr-util"
next to one another (in the same subdir, please drop the version #'s from the dir
names) cd to apr-util, and then open aprutil.dsw in visual studio 2005.

It converts to a .sln file with many .vcproj files, with dependencies.  Simply choose
win32 release model and build.

The output files in those three tree's Release\ directories include your .dll files,
and corresponding .pdb files of the same name.

Bill