apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: [Patch]: Add basic function to APR for LDAP rebind callback support.
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:52:11 GMT
The patches have been updated to address the issues pointed
out below (thanks Bojan).

New contents at the old links:
http://people.apache.org/~rederpj/APR-trunk_rebind.diff
http://people.apache.org/~rederpj/Apache-trunk_rebind.diff

I had a question though (inline below)...

Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 20:02 -0500, Paul J. Reder wrote:
>
>> The APR portion of the patch:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~rederpj/APR-trunk_rebind.diff
>
> Just a few comments (without going into what the patch does):
>
> - you probably want to rename apr_ldap_init_xref_lock() to
> apr_ldap_xref_init() instead

done

> - LDAP_rebindproc() should probably be static

done

> - what happens when apr_ldap_xref_init() gets called again (e.g. by
> another Apache module wanting to initialise this subsystem)?

addressed (check if it's already been initialized)

> - is it possible to make the API so that xref entry is returned instead
> of being stored for the process?

Question: To what end? The xref entry isn't of any use to anyone except
in terms of a node in a list that the rebind callback can scan through.
The problem is that the rebind callback function is called from the ldap
library function and has no context related to the original request info
other than the ldap handle passed to it. The xrefs and the list they are
kept in needs to be protected to avoid concurrency issues, and having the
xref pointer doesn't help the rebind callback function since the xref
pointer can't be passed to it. Is there some reason the xref entry would
be of use to the caller that I've not thought of?

> - LDAP_xref_entry_t live is a namespace violation, because it's in a
> public header file; should probably be called apr_ldap_xref_entry_t

done

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein