apr-dev mailing list archives

From Davi Arnaut <d...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Showstoppers to apr release(?)
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2007 02:06:01 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>> On Oct 15, 2007 12:38 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>> Here's my list of open issues which should probably be determined before
>>> we roll out 1.2.x, I was hoping we were further along than this on Unix
>>> in particular;
>> Are there still showstoppers for rolling 1.2.12?
>
> Thank you for raising the question, I was spinning around talking to folks
> at AC about any issues they were aware of.  It's Paul's desire to actually
> fix sendfile/darwin if the solution is obvious, and it may be (use sendfile
> but detach either hd or tr vectors).  AFAICT it's otherwise ready.

Here is a workaround for the broken leopard sendfile():

http://people.apache.org/~davi/workaround-broken-leopard-sendfile.patch

But, the thing is, it's still broken because it doesn't handle partial
writes.. and sendrecv.c is a mess and I also don't trust the sendfile
test either (it doesn't test with or without headers, file offset, etc).

I'm my opinion we should ship 1.2.x without sendfile support for Leopard
until we sort things out. I'm rewriting the sendfile test to be more
automated (abts suite) and cover more aspects of the API (partial
headers/trailers/files, etc) and once we are sure it works as intended
we can safely backport.

Regards,

Davi Arnaut