apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Showstoppers to apr release(?)
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:11:01 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> * maybe some other issue I don't know about
>
> Darwin 9.  It's a clusterfuck, since we picked up on sendfile, and then
> told them ever-so-nicely we can't compile sendrecv.c.  Joy :)
>
> So - backport my patch from trunk which demonstrates either my bug or
> darwin's bug?  Or disable sendfile detection for solaris?  Or actually
> match ifdef-for-ifdef the mess in sendfile, and disable sendfile on
> all unimplemented platforms?  /shrug - I'm growing beyond caring at this
> point now that I recognize apple-folks couldn't be bothered to submit
> any patches they had used.

Thanks Aaron for picking this up.  But I really don't want to wait a week
to hear the semantic is right or wrong, better to simply disable the mess
until 1.3.x

>> then I'm willing to invest considerable time in the 36 hours to check
>> for *regressions* on some AIX 5.x level and HP-UX/PA-RISC 11iv1, and
>> report and perhaps even fix what I can find.
>
> While I was on the subject of Darwin, there's a lingering HPUX 11i issue
> I wanted to address; HP's always claimed shl_load for 32-bit, but have
> encouraged dlopen from the start for 64 bit.  I believe I have a reasonable
> test for this in trunk, my last patch to configure.in.

So... for darwin, 10.5 claims it would rather have dlopen, the patch tests
that and passes.  Does someone have Darwin 8 (10.4) or earlier to validate
that the old NS* dyld api is still being detected from configure on trunk?

> You'll notice I shifted some platforms to avoid all the extra phooey of
> testing for features we never use.  I left os390/400/aix alone.  I'm not
> sure if you can move any of those up to the earlier "skip all the extras"
> escape for their custom 'other' implementation?  I know aix will happily
> use dlopen().

I'm verifying non-breakage on aix and hp pa-risc (no ia32/64 boxes around),
and am backporting DSO detection if I don't find a flaw in the next few hours.

I should have probably called out what I'm not waiting on;

  * fixes to ipv6 kernel/no configured ipv6 adapter (hp/aix/win32 etc),
    two weeks of silence is plenty for my patience :)
  * fixes to solaris poll, since nobody but Henry (thanks!) is looking
    at this, it won't have enough review to hit 1.2.12.

Bill