apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r592215 - in /apr/apr/trunk: include/apr_file_io.h test/testdir.c
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 12:14:57 GMT
On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 10:40:30PM -0600, William Rowe wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 12:50:44AM -0000, William Rowe wrote:
> >>Author: wrowe
> >>Date: Mon Nov  5 16:50:41 2007
> >>New Revision: 592215

> >>Log:
> >>It is entirely pointless to have nonportable behaviors as examples
> >>to end users of the library.  Good point, however, for an @tip.
> >
> >That was a test case for a bug in the implementation of
> >apr_dir_make_recursive (see r291339).  You have certainly *made* it
> >entirely pointless.
>
> If we are testing make_recursive, why are we we doing so in this context?
> That particular implementation has some assumptions, right, I get that.
> We have a place for implementation tests, it's within test/internal/, where
> we removed the testucs module you objected to way back when.

Eh?  The test case in question was for a bug in the implementation of a
public function which happens to only trigger on some subset of
supported platforms, like many other tests in the test suite.

> It's a good solution; for trunk and moving forwards, lets adopt it.
>
> >Please revert this and explain what problem you were seeing with the
> >test case.  And please use commit log messages which describe the change
> >you are making, rather than some abstract commentary.
>
> Message documented in STATUS.  Nothing should be emitted in ./testall -v
> that doesn't reflect an implementation oversight, an implementation flaw
> or an outright bug in apr or it's OS.  This particular case was not a flaw,
> as I spelled out in apr_file_io.h's @warning.

So the only problem you had with the test case was that it happened to
call ABTS_NOT_IMPL?  Um, OK.  Please restore the test case already and
remove the ABTS_NOT_IMPL call.

joe