apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: compile failure in server/util_ebcdic.c, due to native iconv needing charset string "ISO8859-1"
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:37:36 GMT
On 10/5/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > On 10/5/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> >> I really wonder, if z/OS is so crippled, if we shouldn't simply
> >> recommend using apr-iconv?
> >
> > that's a lot of punishment for not supporting "ISO-8859-1" ;)  users
> > of apr apps can't use the same transformations that they use with
> > other apps (ftp, telnet, and everything else)
>
> Recommend isn't punishment (demand might be ;-)

Thanks so much ;)

> But my question is, if this is unrecognized, the default iconv is likely
> to have other deficiencies.

Factors such as age, use in well-known applications, very strong
requirement for working iconv on the platform, very high expectations
for defect fixes among customers, etc. would support the theory that
any real operational problems would have been resolved long ago.

All I can say for sure based on the history of this code is that

- "ISO8859-1" works on z/OS but not Fujitsu mainframes, hence Martin's
change to "ISO-8859-1"
- "ISO-8859-1" works on Fujitsu but not z/OS, hence the current discussion

(I suspect that most platforms support either string.)

--/--

At any rate, I'm eager for an unpatched apr, without apr-iconv,
working reasonably on z/OS, and am thinking that something more
extensible than David's patch is needed.