apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR on Leopard (works, but has issues)
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:35:49 GMT
Aaron Bannert wrote:
> Hi Everyone, I've been testing our code on Darwin 9/Leopard:
>
> Good news: it works and we can actually create universal binaries:
>
> .libs/libapr-1.0.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
> .libs/libapr-1.0.dylib (for architecture ppc7400):    Mach-O dynamically
> linked shared library ppc
> .libs/libapr-1.0.dylib (for architecture i386):    Mach-O dynamically
> linked shared library i386
> .libs/libapr-1.0.dylib (for architecture x86_64):    Mach-O 64-bit
> dynamically linked shared library x86_64

Funky :)

> Bad news:
>
> 1) The autoconf code that selects the int_value and long_value aren't
> consistent for all three architectures (ppc/i386/x86_64). It should be
> choosing long_value="long long" but it's picking "long" instead,
> probably because that would also be correct on my i386/x86_64 machine.
> That'll need to be fixed.

Three architectures, three autoconf's is my gut reaction.  That said, it's
possible we make an apr.hdarwin that determines some of these fields by
compiler-driven flags (not by user controllable flags).  So there would
not be any side effects from the way the user chooses to build, but it
would bend depending on architecture.

I *presume* the compiler physically runs 3x against the very same header
files when compiling a three-platform universal binary?

> 2) The atomics code breaks presumably because the compiler/linker tries
> to link the same asm in all three architectures. Workaround:
> --enable-nonportable-atomics=no

Was this after I shifted ppc.c atomics to the end of the file, in order to
attempt to fall in proximity of the relocation stubs?  Perhaps list the
-arch ppc last?

What were the exact error messages?

> How did I do it:
>
> ./buildconf
> CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -pipe -Wall -g" \
> LDFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -pipe" \
> ./configure --enable-nonportable-atomics=no
> make clean
> make
> make install

Simple enough.