apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SHM
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:47:48 GMT
Ioan Popescu wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> Win32 anonymous shared memory is actually file backed (backed, of course
>> by the swap file).
>
> I'm not talking about anonymous shared memory (which can only be shared with
> child processes). Maybe I misunderstand how shm/mmap work, but my concern is
> I'm using half the memory allocated (one part file, one part RAM). This is
> an unnecessary problem on CE where files are stored in RAM (there's no swap
> file as it would be stored in RAM). Although there are persistent storage
> areas, they're not needed/used in this case.

What we could do is to have a backup file but like with unix
APR_USE_SHMEM_SHMGET only store the size of the shared memory in it
and use named swap for the actual share. You can do it for CE only, cause
IMO there are no real benefits on NT platforms where it might even not
work if the share is on the network drive.

Regards,
Mladen