apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [vote] apr 1.2.x win32 compatibility
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 07:54:22 GMT
Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> On 10/5/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've reverted, vote withdrawn.
>>
>> End of 1.2 behavioral corrections, as least from me.
>
>> Eric, w.r.t. to your patch to httpd, keep it, as behavioral changes
>> to apr 1.2 appear to be out of the question.  PLEASE consider committing
>> or submitting your patch to 1.3 to make default timeout behavior the same
>> for Win32 as for Unix.
>
> Doesn't this suggest APR needs a 1.3 release soon? I mean, if you
> can't fix it in a stable release line, you can always resort to doing
> a minor release to fix the problems, right?

Trouble is we've fought for binary compatibility over at the httpd project,
too, which gives us pause if we are contemplating bumping to a later version
of APR.  At the minor bump of httpd, this is not an issue, but at a subversion
bump there are deeper considerations.  E.g. a build would load just find if
confronted with apr 1.4 libs, but a build against 1.4 won't load against 1.3
or 1.2 at all.

Bill