apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [vote] apr 1.2.x win32 compatibility
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 01:07:16 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> I see there are only two conclusions based on Joe's veto, therefore vote
> for one;
>
>  [ ] Revert to inheriting INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE on win32 for all unspecified
>      stdio streams (1.2.8 behavior, retaining all other inheritance bugfixes)
>      and for the lifespan of 1.2.x remain incompatible with Unix.  (In 1.3.0
>      we still follow unix behavior of inheriting the parent's stdio streams
>      for unspecified channels).
>
>  [ ] "Tweak" our versioning rules to permit Windows users to continue to use
>      the incompatible behavior via a new APR_NO_FILE macro flag in APR 1.2.12
>      (this remains ABI-compatible since it's a macro).
>
> Please vote, I will be closing the debate shortly to roll out 1.2.12 in the
> very near future.  Essentially option #1 says we can fix platform-incompatible
> in a subversion release, option #2 says we don't attempt to solve platform
> inconsistencies until the next minor release.  Choose your preference.

Sorry - flip #1/#2 in the explanation above - Revert means we can't really
solve a platform inconsistency until the minor release, while "Tweak" means
we can introduce a platform specific option to preserve inconsistent behavior
when it's needed by a small minority of our users, while addressing the larger
incompatibility for the vast majority of APR applications.