apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject [vote] apr 1.2.x win32 compatibility
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:58:23 GMT
I see there are only two conclusions based on Joe's veto, therefore vote
for one;

 [ ] Revert to inheriting INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE on win32 for all unspecified
     stdio streams (1.2.8 behavior, retaining all other inheritance bugfixes)
     and for the lifespan of 1.2.x remain incompatible with Unix.  (In 1.3.0
     we still follow unix behavior of inheriting the parent's stdio streams
     for unspecified channels).

 [ ] "Tweak" our versioning rules to permit Windows users to continue to use
     the incompatible behavior via a new APR_NO_FILE macro flag in APR 1.2.12
     (this remains ABI-compatible since it's a macro).

Please vote, I will be closing the debate shortly to roll out 1.2.12 in the
very near future.  Essentially option #1 says we can fix platform-incompatible
in a subversion release, option #2 says we don't attempt to solve platform
inconsistencies until the next minor release.  Choose your preference.

Bill