apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r581063 - in /apr/apr/branches/1.2.x: CHANGES file_io/win32/filedup.c file_io/win32/open.c include/apr_thread_proc.h include/arch/win32/apr_arch_file_io.h threadproc/win32/proc.c
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:33:18 GMT
On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:54:03PM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> >
> > This is an API extension so can't be backported to the 1.2.x branch (per
> > the versioning rules).
>
> Which explains why you responded to the original post how?
>
> In a rare turn, this doesn't actually introduce any API.  I was very explicit
> in pointing this out, and asking a week ago for the feedback of the developers.

I'm not sure how adding a new macro to a public header and adding a new
interface guarantee if that macro is used can be considered as anything
other than "introducing a new API".

If the procattr API is so ill-defined that it can't be implemented
portably and it requires interface extensions to fix that, so be it (no
argument here), but the versioning rules require that such changes have
to wait for 1.3.0.

joe