apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: PATCH: md5 hash files not portable between EBCDIC and ASCII
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:59:29 GMT
David Jones wrote:
> md5 hash files aren't currently portable between EBCDIC and ASCII machines,
>  (sha is, and the initial work to make md5 portable is there).
>
> md5 hash files created using htpasswd -cm are not portable, i.e. you can
> not create them on an EBCDIC platform,  move them to an ASCII platform
> and get them to work successfully.
> This is true for both apr-util 1.2.8  and earlier versions.
>
> There does not appear to be any installed EBCDIC base that would require
> a compatability option to generate the current hash.
> (These changes do not affect the hash created on ASCII in anyway)

First, this would break existing md5 hashes on EBCDIC machines, right?

Second, sha hashes are much more robust now for p/w type usages.

I'd respectfully suggest that md5 hashes have never really been portable,
they are expressly disallowed by fips-140 policies, and really should just
be neglected into non-existence.  Thoughts?

Bill