apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r573063 - in /apr/apr-util/branches/1.2.x: CHANGES INSTALL.MySQL build/dbd.m4 dbd/apr_dbd_mysql.c
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:07:31 GMT
bojan@apache.org wrote:
> +APU_DECLARE_DATA const apr_dbd_driver_t apr_dbd_mysql_driver = {

I'm just pondering, does this violate our ABI rules?  I wasn't watching
the development of the dbd over time, but for example this creates an
exported symbol, which is picked up by the crappy way that httpd binds(*)
to all external symbols, creating a hard dependency on 1.2.11 and not
permitting the user to substitute 1.2.10, for example.

Bill

(*) the real solution is to jettison the bind-to-every-symbol crap from
    httpd trunk before 2.4 or 3.0/amsterdam goes out the door.  in the
    world of modern shared libraries, it's entirely unnecessary and
    pollutes httpd for no purpose.  If we bound apr statically, that
    would be a different story.