apr-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <mar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PATCH: md5 hash files not portable between EBCDIC and ASCII
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:27:15 GMT
On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 01:12:05AM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> But my first argument remains; if we break the expected
> behavior, we instantly render all previous generated hashes irreconcilable.
>
> So it really seems like an apr-1.3 change, if that, and httpd-2.4/3.0 if
> that was what the poster was getting at.

I don't know about IBM's EBCDIC machines. For BS2000, we have no
problem with backward compatibility, as 2.2.6 will be the 1st 2.x
release, and as far as MD5 is concerned, compatibility with UNIX
.htpasswd files is valued higher than compatibility with 1.3 (which
is going to be replaced by 2.2.6). Anyway, users tended to use the
default (crypt) passwords, not the (more exotic on unix machines)
MD5 passwords. And a major switch in versions allows for a minor
incompatible change that is going to be well documented too.

So, from my POV, I'm leaning towards fixing it in an "ASCII compatible"
way, rather than maintaining the incompatible format for eternity.

   Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>        |     Fujitsu Siemens
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/imprint.html | 81730  Munich,  Germany