apr-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <wsanc...@wsanchez.net>
Subject Re: apr_filepath_encoding on Darwin
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 18:02:33 GMT
On Aug 6, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Er, yeah, did I say that backwards?  The man page says that equivalent
> characters will use the shortest representation, which would mean
> always using the composed form of UTF-8.  Right?  So the man page
> for utf8 (from BSD) should be updated to explain the OS X quirks.

   I think that man page simply describes the encoding, and is not
attempting to define how the file system or any application uses it.
I'll file a bug, though, since it should either say something about
this or refer you to another document.

> I learned something new today -- use the -v option with ls to display
> non-ASCII filenames.

   Yup.  I just filed a bug requesting a way to enable that by default
for those of us with a terminal capable of displaying UTF-8 correctly.

>>  It is, however, relevant to how a CLI application encodes data
>> sent to the terminal.  That is, the above means that Terminal.app
>> expects to see UTF-8 English text.  (I think; again, I don't really
>> know much about BSD locale settings.)
>
> Terminal.app has its own Preferences that defines the encoding used.
> I don't think that is be overridden by the environment variables.

   No, what I meant was that by setting the locale-related environment
variables, you are implying that you have Terminal set up that way as
well, but you are not implying anything about file name encodings.

	-wsv

—
Wilfredo Sánchez - wsanchez@wsanchez.net