apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Will apr_dbd_mysql be distributed with apr?
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 23:18:55 GMT
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 07:47:39 +1000
Bojan Smojver <bojan@rexursive.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 21:09 +0100, Nick Kew wrote:
>
> > I recollect the ASF in the past being unable to include it due
> > to the GPL.
>
> Wasn't the other problem the fact that if this driver got included,
> people that decided to redistribute APR-util under a non-FOSS licence
> (i.e. proprietary) could be doing so illegally (unbeknown to them), as
> their software would then link against MySQL, for which they would
> need a commercial MySQL licence and ASF wasn't cool with exposing its
> licensees to such a risk with the software it ships?

MySQL has explicitly said we can distribute it under ASL.
That means our users are bound (only) by the ASL.  And I
think it means we're excused having to think through every
usage scenario.  But let's give it a try: suppose someone
distributes a non-FOSS product that uses MySQL through APR
(or a customised APR variant):

- If they use only the apr_dbd API, then their work has no MySQL
  dependency.  No problem.

- If they extend the apr_dbd API into MySQL-specific functionality,
  then they - not us - are creating what might be considered a
  derived work.  Not our problem.

- If they bundle MySQL in a binary, then they know they need to
  abide by the GPL.  Just as if they bundle Oracle, they know
  they need a license.

- If notwithstanding the above, they distribute a work derived
  from APR that circumvents the GPL, that's MySQL's problem,
  not ours.  MySQL has accepted that APR-UTIL including the
  MySQL driver should be distributed under the ASL, and
  therefore users abiding by the ASL are in the clear.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/