apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: Will apr_dbd_mysql be distributed with apr?
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:46:29 GMT
On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 10:04 +0100, Nick Kew wrote:

> Whoa!  ASF is flat.  Noone is senior or junior.

I meant that as an sign of respect for people that built ASF.

> And indeed we have *exactly* such a deal.

FOSS exception applies when ASF ships the driver, no doubt at all.

> Nope.  Folks shipping APU are bound by the ASL, and can do what the
> ASL permits.  GPL is not relevant to that.

Actually, that's what the problem was (as I remember it). GPL is
relevant, because when these other people distributing APU change the
licence to something other than ASL (i.e. proprietary) and compile to
include the driver, they do not fall under FOSS exception any more.
Sure, they have to broker themselves a deal with MySQL AB in order to
ship (i.e. get a commercial licence).

I think that was the risk that ASF was reluctant to expose its licensees
to, because other software from ASF doesn't have such restrictions when
being redistributed (e.g. Oracle client licence even allows: "(b) you
may also distribute the programs with your applications;"). GPL is a bit
unique (some would say viral :-) there, I believe, as it even has
problems with dynamic linking to the GPL licensed programs.

But, as I said before, my memory could be bad there. And I would sure
like to see the driver in APU. All I wanted to do is make sure people
notice the issue has been raised. If it is not an issue, all the better.

--
Bojan