apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: Will apr_dbd_mysql be distributed with apr?
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 00:03:56 GMT
On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 00:18 +0100, Nick Kew wrote:

> And I
> think it means we're excused having to think through every
> usage scenario.

I kind of remember this discussion from awhile ago (the issue was raised
by some senior ASF folks, I think). But, I don't have a link to point to
unfortunately (getting old, memory fading etc. :-). In any event, if ASF
is cool with this, even better!

> - If they use only the apr_dbd API, then their work has no MySQL
>   dependency.  No problem.

Even dynamic linking, according to FSF, is a no-no:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF

So, when our MySQL driver dynamically links MySQL library, which is
under the GPL, we have to either:

- fall under MySQL FOSS exception
- be GPL ourselves

Obviously, all the folks out there that are shipping APU with the driver
included under the ASL licence are just fine (MySQL AB considers them
under FOSS exception). However, folks shipping APU under a proprietary
licence must buy a commercial MySQL licence or not distribute the
driver.

Now, whether that's something ASF is still worried about, I don't know
(I _wish_ we could ship). That's why I asked. Maybe someone can ask ASF
legal if this is an issue or not.

--
Bojan