apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Huelsmann" <ehu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apr_filepath_encoding on Darwin
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:06:27 GMT
On 7/17/07, Lucian Adrian Grijincu <lucian.grijincu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/17/07, Lucian Adrian Grijincu <lucian.grijincu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > APR holds everything in locale encoding on UNIX and UTF8 on Windows.
> > >
> > > As far as I know UNIX system calls must accept *locale* strings, not
> > > an arbitrary encoding (be it UTF8 or other). This may be Mac related,
> > > could you point out exactly from where you deduced that strings passed
> > > to "stat()" must be UTF8 ... that's a mighty large document to digest
> > > :)
> >
> > Sure. First sentence of the last paragraph under "File Systems and
> > Unicode Support":
> >

> I think you mean this page:
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPInternational/Articles/FileEncodings.html

Sorry, yes, I do.

> If I'm not mistaking the text before this paragraph talks about the
> encoding used to represent filenames inside the file system. But this
> is not related to the locale (well if a locale used names not
> representable in the encoding of the file system you may get corrupted
> data or what else).
>
> So, please can you confirm that you can set a locale different than UTF-8?

No, I can't confirm: I'm trying to find out why Subversion is the only
app complaining there's no locale set when interacting with the
filesystem while the rest of the world seems perfectly fine with
reading UTF-8 filenames. [But I don't own a Mac myself either, though
I sure can find someone to test for me, later today.]

Subversion generates an error when there's no locale setting *and* APR
returns APR_FILEPATH_ENCODING_LOCALE, but everybody kept on insisting
there's no reason, because there's no locale involved in OS X file
names. (Presenting to the user, maybe, but not for storing on disk.)

> I've never worked on a Mac, but can you set the locale to something
> else than UTF-8?

> > Erik.
bye,

Erik.