apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Huelsmann" <ehu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apr_filepath_encoding on Darwin
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:57:15 GMT
On 7/17/07, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 02:31:27PM +0200, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> > On 7/17/07, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >This is deliberate; on Unix the character set used for filenames is
> > >dictated by the locale settings (e.g. LC_CTYPE), by convention.  There
> > >is certainly no Unix standard which dictates that all filenames must be
> > >UTF-8-encoded Unicode, so APR cannot enforce that.
> >
> > I didn't mean to imply this should apply to any unix, but the Darwin
> > docs do seem to say that this is the standard on Darwin.
>
> Presuming that Darwin still has a configurable locale like any other
> Unix, is the "standard" really anything other than a "default"?

Well, as I quoted in my post to Lucian from the url I posted before:
"All BSD system functions expect their string parameters to be in
UTF-8 encoding and nothing else."

That doesn't seem like a default to me, more like a requirement, but
if I were certain, I would have posted a patch instead of an inquiry.

bye,

Erik.