apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Get rid of builtin expat
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:47:47 GMT
On 7/29/07, Davi Arnaut <davi@haxent.com.br> wrote:
> We don't need to bundle it because it's a mandatory API, we just have to
> explain to (win32) users how to extract a recent expat at xml/. It's not
> a matter of API and we don't *need* to bundle expat, it's becoming a burden.

No - the last time I checked, simply extracting a recent expat into
xml/ isn't sufficient for Win32.  Expat has changed its build systems
for Win32 many times over the years, so how we interface with a
bundled expat of varying versions requires manual customization of our
project files.  IOW, expat 2 isn't a drop-in replacement for 1.95.8 on
Win32.  (The library name has changed, etc, etc.)

I am very much against projects that do not bundle required
dependencies - not everyone is on a platform that has a good package
management system.  I want a good out-of-the-box experience for folks
on bare-bones platforms.  For those who are fortunate to be on 'rich'
platforms can simply choose to use the --with flags.  And, I'm not so
sure it's that much of a burden.  -- justin