apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Get rid of builtin expat
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:58:26 GMT
On 7/29/07, Davi Arnaut <davi@haxent.com.br> wrote:
> Hi
> Can't we get rid of the builtin expat on trunk? Yesterday I had yet
> another problem linking python (python-xml) and a static build apr-util
> together on a pretty complex application. I know I should have linked
> apr-util with the system expat, but then what's the point of having one
> builtin?
> http://people.apache.org/~davi/apr-util-remove-expat.patch

Because not everyone (hi Windows folks) has expat already installed.
For required dependencies, I'm in favor of bundling - and we used to
be ahead of expat releases - though that situation has changed in the
last 5 years or so.  Regardless, if expat were optional, then I say we
could easily remove it; but apr_xml_* has been a mandatory API since
1.0, so IMO we shouldn't remove it until we did an APR 2.x and make
apr_xml_* optional...  -- justin

View raw message