apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r560688 - /apr/apr-util/trunk/build/apu-conf.m4
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:54:48 GMT
On 7/29/07, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hmm, why the save/restore of CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS?  This is only necessary
> when there is some failure case where the changes made will not persist
> until build time, so should not affect subsequent tests.  For cases like
> e.g. --with-expat=/path, the path modifications will persist to build
> time, so should be left as-is; they have a legitimate effect on
> subsequent tests.

Well, the problem with the original commit was that any internal
setting of CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS within APU_FIND_EXPAT does not persist to
build time as our build system does not utilize the end result of the
values in CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS.  As such, the --with-expat setting ended
up being a no-op prior to this...  =(

IMO, we shouldn't be leaving anything in CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS and believe
we're largely consistent on that point.  Most of our other "with"
tests (LDAP, SSL, DBM, etc.) do a save/restore as we should not be
depending upon the state of CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS being valid.   We could
remove all of the saving/restoring across the board, but I think it's
better to treat each --with option as independent rather than being
influenced by other options.  -- justin